St. Louis 314.226.1944, Austin 512.856.4899

U Visa: Crime Victim Visas

visa u

U Visa: Crime Victim Visas

U Visa: Crime Victim Visa

Leer en español

If you have been a victim of a certain type of crime here in the United States, and you were helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of that crime, you may qualify for a U visa.

The first step in obtaining a U visa is to request that a law enforcement agency sign a certification stating that you were the victim of a qualifying crime and that you were helpful to law enforcement.  Once we obtain the certification, we must prepare a packet of documents to send to USCIS demonstrating that you meet all the criteria for a U visa.

USCIS may grant you a U visa if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are the victim of qualifying criminal activity.
  • You have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of criminal activity.
  • You have information about the criminal activity.
  • You were helpful, are helpful, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.
  • The crime occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws.
  • You are admissible to the United States, or have applied for and been granted a waiver.

Most people applying for a U visa need to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility, usually because they entered the United States unlawfully or have a criminal background.  We can submit this request for a waiver along with the rest of the U visa packet that we send to USCIS.

If you believe you may be eligible for a U visa, please call us to schedule a consultation. We’d love to talk with you about whether this is a possibility.